Some People Juggle Geese
Funny but true.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Narnia Revisited
Last night I went to see "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" (not the crap cartoon one which made me hate the book a bit, but the new fancy one). I have to say that I was quite impressed with most of it.

I'm the kind of person who makes a good quality assurance technician, or editor, or really anything that means you find other people's mistakes. With that in mind I only had the following complaints about the movie, on first viewing:
1) The snow. It was not the worst snow I have ever seen, but it was not great. Wasn't Narnia supposed to be bitterly cold under the grip of the White Witch? There was far too much exposed skin for it to be truly cold, and none of that skin had white blooms of frostbite on it. Also, unless you are really freaking cold, snow melts a bit on your skin; it doesn't hang there, waiting to be brushed off your lips or out of your ear (I'm looking at you Edmund). Clearly the people in charge of snow haven't spent any time in Canada.
2) I also found it weird that everyone had British accents except the wolves, who sounded North American. What was that? Was that a "North Americans are evil"?

I found the movie to be true to the original tale; that it caught the feeling of the book. The CGI stuff surprisingly wasn't annoying and cheesy.

Watching the movie took me back to my childhood and the eleventy billion times that I read the Narnia series (except "The Horse and His Boy", which I thought was crap until I got older). I used to dream that I would find Narnia and get away from my problems in the real world. Those books are what got me hooked on fantasy and led to David Eddings and Robert Jordan addictions, to name a few. Watching a well-made movie based on a book from my favorite series as a child revived the wonder that I had in my youth, the feeling that another world could be just around the corner waiting for me to find it. Of course, now I'm not grubbing around in the back of old closets to find this fantastic world, I'm looking for new adventures in the world that I live in.